Situated opposite Dublin Castle, The Olympia Theatre first opened to the public in 1878 and is now one of Dublin’s most loved theatre venues. The original theatre was designed by John Callaghan who was a well know architect at the time, for Dan Lowrey who opened the theatre which was originally known as The Star of Erin. In 1897, the theatre was remodelled and re-opened under the name The Empire Palace Theatre. In 1923 the theatre, under new management was renamed to The Olympia and this name still remains in place today. The theatre saw numerous international acts perform there from Charlie Chaplin, to Laurel and Hardy, to Dame Edith Evans and these performers put The Olympia Theatre on the map as a world class theatre venue. In 1974 the theatre had to close for business due the roof collapsing and it remained closed until 1977. Under the management of Gerry Sinnott the theatre reopened and since then has proven itself as a successful theatre venue in Dublin. The synonymous glass canopy that so many people associated with The Olympia was damaged in an accident in 2004 and it was only in 2007 with funding from the Department of Arts, Sports and Tourism that the glass canopy was re-installed. The Olympia has a repertoire that spans all genres and international performers such as R.E.M, David Bowie and The Kings of Leon have all performed there. The Olympia is one of Dublin’s oldest theatre venues and is well worth a visit.
If you are lookinf for an hotel near the Olympia Theatre, Celtic Lodge is just a 15 minute walk away.
For a full list of upcoming events in The Olympia Theatre visit www.olympia.ie